Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Treadmill Spirituality

For the past few years, I’ve seen a couple women regularly when I work out at the gym. Recently I’ve noticed that despite their faithful workouts, they look basically the same to me. One day my mind snapped out of judgment mode and realized I’m guilty of the same thing. I’ve worked out regularly for about eight years now, and while my weight has had its ups and downs, I’m relatively the same, and certainly not different in any way that other gym patrons would notice.

Worse still, I wondered if the same thing could be said of my spiritual health. Am I different in any way from eight years ago? I am in any way more like Christ, more frequently exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit? Am I trusting in God more and worrying less? Am I living as though I believe what I say I believe, and does my life reflect that Jesus is my main love? If not, something about my spiritual “workout” needs to change.

The answers to those questions are sobering for me. I've decided to be more diligent in considering modifications I need to be making – realistic ones that, with the aid of the Holy Spirit, can last. We’re long past the time of New Year’s resolutions and Lenten sacrifices, but it is never too late to shake things up and start doing something differently. His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23). We can “start over” each morning or even at 4:20 p.m. on a Wednesday afternoon.

Please consider asking God to reveal one thing you could change to shake up your routine. If you’re the type of person who thrives on accountability, tell one trusted friend what you’re doing.

One final note about those women (and myself): though I don’t want to be someone who’s moving but getting nowhere, there is worth in faithfully doing something and at least not backsliding. No one can maintain constant growth or always be on the mountaintop. However, the ideal is to be in a growth pattern that, despite time in the valley or periods of stagnancy, is ultimately progressing.

1 comment: