Thursday, July 16, 2009

Jesus Is My Self-Help Guru

I realized something recently. I've always been drawn to self-help books. I appreciate the concept of identifying an area in my life that needs growth and finding a resource that helps me process and overcome an issue, struggle, or past experience. In fact, during a couple episodes of depression in my life, these types of books helped me treat myself (though I know many who've benefited greatly from counseling).

Back to my realization. Jesus, or my Christian faith in general, has become to me what self-help resources are to others. The good news: Jesus is obviously the best possible example of what a healthy human being is intended to be in the eyes of the Creator. Becoming more like Him ensures that I will be more loving, less selfish, and more focused on God's kingdom and things of eternal significance.

The bad news: Sometimes I'm too focused on what I can "get" from my relationship with God. Instead of being satisfied with doing things out of obedience to God and bringing more glory to Him, I often think in terms of how my relationships, mental and physical health, enjoyment of life and experience of greater peace, etc., might be improved. These things are not negative, but my sense is that if they occur they are added benefits. When they become the focus, they become potential idols in my life.

One example is the struggle I, along with many others, have to eat healthy and exercise regularly. I often solicit God's help in making good choices, but the motivation in my mind and heart is more focused on the possible end result of having a slimmer, stronger, body that will look better and hopefully live longer.

And when it comes to relationships, we all know that it is possible to seek God in every moment and try to treat others as lovingly as possible and still experience pain and disappointment and even abandonment. Overall, hopefully growing closer to Christ and seeking to imitate Him changes us in ways that improves our relationships. But sometimes relationships break down despite the best intentions, so the quality of those shouldn't be our ultimate goal in drawing closer to God.

Suffering, challenges, disappointment, and so on will always be a part of life. No amount of spiritual growth will eliminate them -- though attention to our souls' health can solidify our faith such that we are better able to be strong in times of trouble.

Bottom line: I'm hoping to get to a place where I'm less focused on how my Christian faith can benefit me personally and more focused on being glad to be with Him even when I don't see a concrete, positive change in myself or my life.

More thoughts on related topics to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment