Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Formatio Book Series

If you are interested in spiritual formation, I highly recommend that you check out the Formatio series from IV Press. By no means have I read all the books available, but I have a few at the moment and I'm very appreciative of the range of topics they offer. A few that I have right now are Signature Sins (talks about how our own temperament, culture, family, gender, etc. affect the way sins manifest in our lives and how to combat sin), Coming Home to Your True Self: Leaving the Emptiness of False Attractions (covers spiritual disciplines that can help us find our true selves in Christ), and Sacred Rhythms (discusses 7 spiritual disciplines).

I haven't read very far in Coming Home to Your True Self yet, but here's a quote I love from early in the book:
"The great tragedy for many of us is that in growing up, we become self-made, independent successes who are weighed down with thoughts of the past and worries about the future. We lose touch with our true self, the person God created us to be. We live off-center and alienated from who we really are."

No comments:

Post a Comment