Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Make Room for Peace

Stop for just a few seconds and breathe deeply. Take five slow breaths in and out.

Was that difficult for you? Did you feel like you were wasting time that could be spent on something more significant?

My mind is constantly revving, always thinking of several things at once. In addition, I love to read, and between books, newspapers, magazines, mail, the Internet, and so on, I'm regularly filling my mind with even more information. New facts to learn, new world events to fret over, new products I need and home improvements to consider. My brain's cup overfloweth. But it's just too much.

Beyond that, there are life's personal challenges to consider, friends and family who need to be loved and prayed for, etc. And sometimes life seems weighed down with worries, pain, and burdens.

I've been awakened to the fact that I have far too little peace in my life. Even when I'm not feeling as anxiety prone as I might at other times, the mental and emotional space somehow gets filled with lots of other junk. It's not all junk, but it also doesn't need to occupy so much attention or urgency.

I've found that the more cluttered my mind is, the less room there is for me to truly focus on God. I'm learning that I need to train myself to seek and enjoy peace. It might only be for 10 minutes a day, but I am trying to prioritize peace. That might look different for different people or on different days. For me, one day I might focus on a few Bible verses related to peace. Another day I might listen to calming music on my iPod. Or I might step outside, maybe for a walk, or maybe just for a few minutes to breathe fresh air and thank God for His creation. Whatever works best for you, I urge you to make some time for a little peace each day.

Here are just a few of my favorite peace-related verses:

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." (John 14:27)

"When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul." (Psalm 94:19)

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you alone, o Lord, make me to dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Reminds me of "Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10. It is so hard to be still and live in God's peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love it when you read something just at the time you need it. This writing retreat is soooo quiet! But I'll be good. No "mental and emotional space" junk. I'll breath and enjoy the quiet. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete