Friday, August 21, 2009

The Art of Being Still

Being still does not come easily to me. Oh, I can sit still with the best of them, but quieting my mind is nearly impossible. I am constantly thinking about something, if not multiple somethings. There is so much "noise" in my brain, and I've grown so accustomed to it that I don't know how to tone it down.

When I was dating my husband, I remember riding in the car somewhere with him in silence, looking at him and wondering what fascinating thoughts must be in his mind. Upon asking that common question "What are you thinking about?" (which I rarely ask anymore), the reply was "Nothing." "No, really," I said. "What are you thinking about?" I couldn't comprehend that someone could really be thinking about nothing. And the battle for a more peaceful mind rages on today in my spiritual life.

I'm convinced that, despite my struggle to do so, it's essential that I spend time periodically making a specific effort to be quiet in God's presence and listen to Him or just enjoy being with Him. Or to empty myself of everyday thoughts to make more room for praising His attributes.

The question is, in the midst of our cluttered lives, mentally and otherwise, how can this happen?

Getting out of my house and away from other people tends to help me, though it happens very rarely. Finding a secluded area in a (safe!) park gives me a connection with nature and removes me from anything that might call to mind my to-do list. Even in those circumstances, though, my mind wanders. Sometimes I try to find one single thing to focus on, like a flower, so that I can weed out the junk from my mind.

What I'm really curious about, though, is how can this state of mind and soul be accomplished on an everyday basis, in my own home? If you've got something that works for you, please post it in the comments. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment